Saturday, August 6, 2011

Were we really in Africa?

Did that really happen?! Were we really in Africa?! I'm still spending most of my time processing this amazing adventure!

I never expected to see so much, do so much and learn so much in such a short time- and I'm still learning- as I retrieve and examine memories of the trip, they take on new dimensions now with the luxury of retrospection.

I am immensely grateful for the opportunity to travel and experience two incredible cultures with an amazing group of people! The field of education and the children whose lives are touched by these Exeter and Punahou teachers are indeed lucky to have such dedicated and inspiring individuals.

I find that I struggle to articulate all that I've seen and learned. I think the most surprising part of this adventure is that I'm learning so much after the fact- we moved so quickly from one eye-opening adventure to the next, that I just stored each piece of our travels in the back of my mind, and now it is such a joy to take each memory out and examine it- many 'aha' moments have happened for me since I've returned- so many things now make sense- connections, connections, connections.

I'm trying to figure out the answer to the most common question- what was your favorite part? The easy answer would be, of course, the dancing and drumming at the Centre for National Culture- that was pure frosting on the cake! Not only was it a thrill to see, but immensely rewarding to know that the African dance segment of PEA's dance program is right on target. And talk about serendipity- Kwasi has been telling me about a particular dance 'Adowa' which would be perfect for our dancers- and they did that dance! Got it on my camera!

So, I jump from one 'favorite' image to another- was it the anthropology lecture, the Grand Mosque, sights and sounds of the various market places, sitting on the floor with 2 babies on my lap at the creche, laughing with Kosi in his backyard, Ahhhhhh from the minarets, mausoleums and arboretums, tapestries of color in the architecture of Morocco and the dresses of Ghana, the chance to cruise the canals of Amsterdam during a layover, storks, wandering the streets in search of an eclipse, the kindnesses and good humor of traveling companions, the Roman ruins, counting off in Arabic ( I will never forget that 'khamsat'ashar' is 15), Moroccan headdress demo- no, I think the visit to SOS Children's' Village was the best- or perhaps, the afternoon with Touria, the English teacher in Morocco who opened her home to us, or eye-opening visits to schools and the excitement of possible connections, learning the appalling details of the slave trade, collecting Moroccan and Ghanaian music for my dance classes, the indomitable spirit and pride of the people we met- and what about my own personal achievement (which my family does not believe)- I actually ate camel burgers and sheep brains- who knew!

This trip cannot be summed up in a few quick comments to family, friends, colleagues- I can't seem to articulate the barrage of knowledge, emotions, and understanding that accompanies such an unbelievable adventure with an incredible group of traveling companions, tour guides, and our own Ahmed, Kwasi and Mercy. Then, of course, the unbelievable Queen of our Morocco/Ghana Adventure- Hope (whose name is particularly apropos...)- without whom things certainly would have fallen apart!
~Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment